Thursday, June 11, 2009

Getting (more) lost.

It is not chaotic, it is just real; I said as we start laughing. I feel like I am alive again, remainds me of Cairo in a way. I do not know her name, I did not bother to ask. Our conversation did not let us exchange pasts, names, ages... rien. To me so far, she is Emiliano's mom. I have not met Emiliano yet. He is supposed to show me an apartment that is four blocks away from the hostel. The hostel... my house so far. Well can you call it a house if you don't have a key? I guess yes, you could call it like that.
We talked about the favelas, the Latin American "Golden Years" -those ones that I never lived, our respective crisis, our stolen present and our forgetable past. "This is my soul. I am latinoamericana. I tried the US, tried Europe. Je suis toujours une étrangere Where ever I am in Latin America I feel save, I feel that I belong North to South. América Latina es mi patria" She tells me, I wanted to cry too.
I went to CEDES on my first day; took the right bus, got off at the wrong stop. It is all good, until I realized I forgot my map. Here I am in Buenos Aires not knowing where I am. For any Westerner tourist this exactly where there is nothing to see -you know, poor and real argentines. This girl from Lyon at the hostel asked me why would I go there. I work there. "Just for fun", I said.
It is good that Western women tourists are adviced not to go overthere, they would feel sexually harassed. I like to call it a terapeutic shot of high self esteem. I forgot how interesting is to walk around. Men say random things, as opposed to "bad areas" in Mexico City, here they are harmless. "You make the winter a beautiful season miss", "Thank you for the beautiful smile" "If I saw you walking everyday I would be poorer than now" "No te acomodés el vestido, negra, asi te va re bien" "¡Qué guapa que sos!" And it was almost when I was getting to CEDES that a man went on his knees "Marry me please" when I laughed so hard, Thank you you just made my day; I said. I came back to the hostel, Ignacio, my boss drove me here. As I was finally getting to the third floor where my room is, I heard some American guests singing Akon's "smack that on the floor" the ultimate western female sexual emancipation song.... I sat down in my room quite confused.
Is my culture really the label the West has impossed on me? Am I Huntington's homogenic Latin? Or do I simply see things all in terms of the West vs The Rest? Am I part of the Rest?
"The Mexican people are the most noble people, miss." The taxi driver said -the one I took when I got lost again because I really wanted to go and watch the football game. "Your people are simply the best I've met. Look I have one of the 20 pesos bills the plastic ones" I smiled, said nothing. Are they? Are we? Am I? I got off to watched the game, "Nice to meet you Mariele" he said "I hope we Argentines treat you as well as Mexican have treated me". I wanted to cry, does the taxi driver loves more my people than I do? I feel at home here... and at the same time I do not.
Bueno acá en la América Latina al final todos nos vamos a joder ¿viste? -Emiliano's mom said.

6 comments:

  1. This was a really heart felt piece. I felt like i was in the cab with you listening to your conversation with the driver. I can imagine what its like to be in a place were you feel so at 'right' and yet so confused all in the same breath. Talk about a journey. That's the best part of this blog you get to look back and see where you started and where you end off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are sooo touching, Mariele!
    I had great pleasure reading both. You must be a very interesting person.

    I am wondering if you can recommend me some good books in Spanish to read. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE how the meaning of the title changes after you've read the entry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lo hare en español porque yo se que amas a tu Mexico y yo haré que eso nunca se te olvide, eres por mucho la amiga mas interesante que tengo, el leer un artículo más de lo que has creado a lo largo de nuestras vidas, me hace sentirme la amiga más orgullosa, en verdad you blow my mind, I have and will always tell you this, just because you always do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, try to find the Open Veins of Latin America from Eduardo Galeano. If you speak Spanish I would highly suggest to read it in Spanish. From there Borges, Garcia Marquez, Cortazar, Allende, Fuentes have amazing novels. For poetry I would go for Neruda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eduardo Galeano is amazing!

    And so are your blog posts

    ReplyDelete